Monday, March 3, 2008

Having not a clue as to what theology was or why it would matter, I was completely shocked 10 years ago to sit in a pew in Gilbert, Arizona and hear preaching from Scripture that was contrary to what I had grown up 'knowing' about God. Namely, that 'we are all God's children', and that 'Jesus died for EVERYONE', and that all we had to do to escape the fire of hell was to A.) Admit we are sinners - and who in their right mind would deny that ?, B.) Believe Jesus Christ is God's Son, that He was born of a virgin, that He lived a sinless life, that He was crucified, dead, burried, and that He rose from the grave - alive - and that this particular set of circumstances 'paid the penalty due me because of my sins' and made me clean as snow in the sight of God - hence 'reconciled to God' and acceptable to Him...able to go to Heaven. C.) Confess Jesus as my 'personal Savior' and particularly to say this in public before other people - preferably right before being baptized.

One fulfilled these requirements by praying a 'sinners prayer' with the right words like, "I know I've sinned, I know You died for my forgiveness, I know You rose from the dead, I want to go to heaven and have You come into my heart and save me."

I grew up thinking this sacred prayer with the right word-ingredients and a sincere attitude - was my insurance policy that guaranteed a spot in Heaven. Nothing else was required. Right belief - check. Right prayer - check. Sincerity - check. Covered. Period. I could go on to live as I pleased because I was 'banking on grace' and not on 'works'. To attach self-denial, obedience, good works, or anything else to the knowledge of salvation by 'grace' through 'faith' was to negate the whole shebang...so I wouldn't want to do that. I sincerely believed 'salvation' was free (which it is) and that fact automatically meant it was cheap. I believed there were two types of legitimate Christians: 1.) people who accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, and 2.) people who bent their knee to Jesus Christ as their LORD...that carnal-Christians were just as legitimate as Christians who pursue personal holiness and mortification of sin.

A big fancy, theological word for this 'cheap grace' or 'cheap salvation' is - brace yourself - Antinomianism. Look it up, it goes w-a-y back to Pelagius (418 AD, Synod of Carthage).

Thing is, someone can sincerely believe anything and it doesn't make it truth. Frankly, that particular Sunday, the harsh reality hit me when our Pastor quoted from the book of James in the New Testament that even the demons believe Jesus is Who He says He is - and they tremble. There just has to be more to this than sincere belief of the 'right' facts. Further, as demonstrated in Scripture, the demons not only believe Jesus but they obey Jesus. Even Satan obeys God - remember Job? So there has to be more to this than obedience (works). So since I've established that only an imbecile would deny they were a sinner, and that there must be more 'to it' than belief in the right data, and there must be more 'to it' than obeying the commands of Christ - that leaves me with the all-important question: "How DOES one get right with God?"

Great question - and truly the ONLY question that matters both now and forever.

If you don't have the answer to the "How do I get right with God?" question, it would be a wisest use of your time and space on this planet today to get in the Bible - the Word of God preserved over time - and find out. Start with the Gospel of John. In the Gospel of Matthew (19:26) you will get Jesus' answer to this vital: "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ allow your eyes to see, your ears to hear, and your heart to know the Truth of His Word - for the Gospel - the 'Good News' of Who Jesus Christ is and why He matters to you - is the power to save.


(originally posted on a Xanga 3/26/06)

No comments: